Whatever you consider yourself a progressive / liberal, conservative, or moderate, or any other, so-called, label, most would agree, the degree of dysfunction, in the United States of America's political system, appears to be, at an all – time high, at least, in recent memory! There is very little purpose, in playing the blame – and – complain, game, yet, that is rather what we witness, almost daily. Rather than having productive discussions, and civil discipline, those with different perspectives, and political positions / views, each side often, blames the others, and proceeds, with blinders , and resorts to often, being unwilling to, even, listen, to anyone with a different opinion opinion! With that in mind, this article will attempt to briefly, consider, review, and discuss, what I refer to, as the sad, pitiful, unproductive, 5 D's of today's political discourse.
1. Delusion: It's often, challenging, to know, if certain individuals, in politics, actually believe what they say, or if it is merely political, rhetorical, but, regardless, there is always danger, when this path is pursued. Are these politicians, delusional, or are their followers, or both? What harm may occur, when reality is ignored, and they believe, only, their opinions and perspectives? When facts are replaced by Fake Facts, delusion replicates relevant, sustainable, viable solutions! For example, is our President, delusional, lying, or self-serving?
2. Distortion: When we are represented by people, who distort the issues, to serve their personal / political agenda, and / or self – interest, the public generally suffers. While each person is certainly, entitled to his opinion, no one is entitled to their own set of facts!
3. Diversion: The political era of Donald Trump, will be evaluated, in the future, and historians will consider, why so many people, seemed to be willing to accept the many diversions, rather than demand, better! Does not it seem, often, when things seem to be, going, other than President Trump's way, he resorts to diversion, to take our attention away from challenging, and / or, relating issues?
4. Digression: Would not it be nicer, and better, for our citizens, if, we would have our perceptions, priorities, and concerns, addressed, and answered, rather than, when questions were asked, our so-called representative, digressed, and changed the subject?
5. Desperation: Often, politicians, and public / elected officials, resort to desperate measures, in order to serve their best interests, rather than ours! Why do not we elect people, willing to listen effect, to all opinions, rather than, merely, their own view?
Consider these 5 D's , so we can focus on what we need, rather than politics, and rigidity! When will the American electorate, wake-up, and elect leaders, who possess integrity, ethics, and focus on the common good?